Thursday 19 June 2014

Keep An Ear Out..


I mentioned in my May Madness post that there are some new music releases coming up that I'm particularly excited for, especially in the male British singer-songwriter part of the music world, so I thought I'd share with you some popular and lesser known artists to check out.

Ed Sheeran's much anticipated second album Multiply is on it's way and I'm very excited. The first single 'Sing' was a small declaration in a way that things will be getting switched up a bit on this album but I although I am keen to see which direction he's taking some of his songs I hope that some of the raw acoustic notes of the first stay around.

Lewis Watson is one of my favourite singer-songwriters, his progression from acoustic to more alternative has been amazing and very natural I think as his skills and abilities musically have grown. His first album has been long awaited with a succession of EP's prior all of which I have fallen in love with. I have high hopes in the success of 'The Morning' and I think he is one to watch if you're not already.

Passenger's new album 'Whispers' is truly a thing of beauty, following the success of his single Let Her Go this album had a greater amount of people waiting for it and I think he rose to the challenge. He's stayed within his genre and it's not a dramatic change but it's more cinematic than his previous four studio albums and the strings section just gets me. Surprisingly '27' is my favourite track from the record as it's one of the most upbeat songs but I'm a sucker for a good clapping section (being able to clap in time to this is about as musically talented as I get).

I fell in love with Sam Smith's voice with his song 'Leave Your Lover' from his album 'In The Lonely Hour', the mainly acoustic guitar and piano track had me on iTunes listening to the rest of the album which I fell in love with and have had on repeat since. 'Stay With Me' was so good the BBC Radio 1 host Zane Lowe deemed it his 'hottest record' and I couldn't agree more. One of the best breakthrough pop artists so far this year.

One of the most popular youtube cover artists Kina Grannis recently released another album entitled 'Elements' and I think finally she has reached her music potential. Her covers have always been amazing but for some it ends there, and I had a fear that was the same for Kina but this album has proven me wrong. 'Elements' is a bit more unique than her previous albums and really showcases her talent more than her previous albums have. My favourite track is Winter but all of them are divine and worth a listen.

Hudson Taylor, an Irish pop-folk duo, have released their 'Battles II' EP with three new tracks and 2 remastered versions of Battles prior to the release of their first album due in September of this year. I love the 2014 version of Battles, it's very powerful and showcases how far they've come, as well as the track Throw Me A Line which is my pick of the new tracks.

Any new artists that I need to listen to before they get big? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment