Monday 12 May 2014

Height Advantage

It's hard to tell across the internet but I am in fact a very tall girl. I don't mean that I'm 5'7 and I am just enough above average height to follow @tallgirlproblems on twitter. No by tall I mean I am taller than the majority of the population, both male and female.

I am 6ft.

Which leads to the obvious questions. Do you model? Do you play basketball? How are you going to find a boyfriend tall enough for you? (the last one was asked in spite by a guy who I rejected in high school)

It took me a long time to accept how tall I was. It's odd not wanting to accept something you can't change but at 14 years old when the majority of guys in my grade hadn't even had their growths spurt yet, it really sucked. And I was reminded of this because my height became the first thing people noticed about me, still is.

But after a lot of time hating the most obvious thing about me I am gradually learning to love it. Gradually should be emphasised there. I don't slouch as much in photos anymore, I wear heels if the occasion calls for it and I show of the killer legs which are one of the saving graces for being so tall.

My advice to the tall girl reading this post?

Go to as many concerts as you can. Being a head above the rest in a mosh pit may annoy the people behind you but don't let yourself care. Embrace being able to see the artist without looking up at the big screens and brag to yourself a little as your short friends struggle to even see those (self bragging is ok and if you've got a best friend who won't take it personally, brag aloud if it makes you feel better about yourself).

Show off those pins. Girl (did I just say that??), you've got what others envy so embrace them. Wear playsuits and high waisted shorts, anything that just emphasises the blessing that height can be.

Don't slouch. Confidence is key, even if it's fake. People who thrive on negativity are less likely to make you their target if you look confident and over time faking confidence won't be so difficult anymore.

You're a small fish in a big pond. For those cruel people who critique how you're going to find a boyfriend/girlfriend because you're so tall just remember there are 7 billion people in this world and although you'll never meet all of them, there is most certainly someone for you. Also who says you have to date a guy taller than you? It's 2014, do what you want.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for finding jeans that fit without it costing a fortune or for maxi dresses coming up to your shins yet but I'm working on it.

Any other advice? If you're a tall girl let me know in the comments and tell me about how you accepted it?

No comments:

Post a Comment